Friday 13 November 2009

Haere Mai Te Wai Pounamu







Well in case your wondering, the title says welcome to the south island in Maori and what a welcome it has given us. By comparison to the north island where the sun shone all day every day it has been overcast and either cold, windy, rainy or even snow!
We have had a little sun but nothing like the north island. Baz tells me its 25c further south...lets wait and see?
Today we made our way to Fox Glacier and should have taken a chopper flight up the mountain but weather conditions prevented us from getting a landing on the Glacier so we didn't bother. We drove up as far as we could and got up close and personal with the huge Glacier, which is about 10 miles long. It has receded greatly over the past 100 years with global warming being blamed.
Along the way we stopped at a craft centre that sold Maori carving, which was a little treasure trove for gift shopping. We have had a nice relaxing day, which has been well received by myself in particular as my shoulder has become really sore with all the riding. I'm on Ibuprofen and hope it does not worsen? I would hate to have to take a day off the bike but if it gets more painful I might have to .
Baz tells us we have a long ride tomorrow and I am looking forward to reaching Queens Town in two days time, I hope it has stopped raining by morning ?

No comments:

Post a Comment